Current Affairs 22nd February 2017 - Important Points
Current Affairs 22nd February 2017 - Details
India defeated South Africa by one run to win the ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifier 2017 at the P. Sara Stadium, Sri Lanka on 21st February 2017.
Sune Luus from South Africa is awarded as the Player of the Series, while India’s Deepti Sharma is rewarded as the Player of the Match.
• The tournament was held from 7thto 21stFebruary 2017 in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
• Both Sri Lanka and Pakistan have also qualified for the 2017 Women's Cricket World Cup along with India and South Africa.
• The tournament was the 4thedition of the World Cup Qualifier. It was also the first World Cup Qualifier tournament to be held in Sri Lanka.
Justice Abhay Manohar Sapre, a sitting judge of the Supreme Court of India, has been appointed as the chairman of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal on 21 February 2017. Justice JS Kheharnominated him for the post by the Chief.
• Sapre was the judge in the Supreme court from 2014 before taking charge here as a chairperson.
• CWDT was set by the Union Govt. to sort out interstate river Cauvery water sharing dispute on 2nd June 1990.
• This dispute is basically between Tamilnadu and Karnataka, where Karnataka denies to share Cauvery water with Tamilnadu due to already water crisis situation on the state itself.
Milind Soman, the national level swimmer-turned-model completed a 517.5 km racesuccessfully in an extremely high endurance event called Ultraman on 19 February 2017 in Florida.
Important Highlights :
• It was a three days event including swimming, running and cycling.
• Milind completed this whole event barefoot, and bagged the title Ultraman.
• The event started with the 10km swimming followed by 147.2km bike ride on the first day.
• On the day-2, Milind completed 171 km timed bike ride with just five seconds to spare.
• The day three involved an 84 km long ultra-marathon that too was completed by Milind easily.
• This annual event of ‘Ultraman’ is by invitation only.
Shurhozelie Liezitsu has sworn as 11th Chief Minister of Nagaland on 22nd February 22, 2017 at Raj Bhawan, Kohima.
Key Highlights :
• At the time of ceremony Shurhozelie was 81 years old and the oldest to take oath in the state.
• He has been a member of Nagaland Legislative Assembly (NLA) 8 times.
• He is succeeding TR Zeliang, who resigned from his post over the heavy protests by NTAC (Nagaland Tribes Action Committee)over 33 per cent reservation for women in local body elections.
• He has written more than 40 books that include novels, poetry, drama, history and translations.
The Asian Hockey Federation (AHF) confirmed the appointment of Abhijit Sarkar as its new Vice Chairman on 21stFebruary 2017.
Detailed Information :
• The Asian Hockey Federation is a 30 members association that governs body for the sport of field hockey in Asia.
• The present president of AHF is Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah.
• Executive Board Meeting made this decision to appoint him on 7thFebruary 2017.
Visit Our Blog