Current Affairs 23rd February 2017
Current Affairs 23rd February 2017 - Important Points
- Canada announced to give asylum to - 1200 Yazidi Refugees
- Which tech giant released its study on Digital Payments Industry - Google
- Law protecting transgender students in America revoked by – Trump Administration
- India and Australia signed MoU on – Cooperation in civil aviation sector
- India, Uganda agreed to cooperate in – Space Programme and atomic energy
- In which tiger reserve shoot-at-sight order was issued to curb poaching - Corbett Tiger Reserve
Current Affairs 23rd February 2017 - Details
Canada announced to give asylum to - 1200 Yazidi Refugees
The Canadian Govt. announced to give asylum to 1200 Yazidi refugees on 21st Feb 2017. These efforts have been taken by the govt. to curb the genocide in Iraq from the hands of Islamic extremists.
Key Information :
• Canada started this operation of rescuing these vulnerable refugees on 25 October 2016.
• Country has already airlifted around 400 in the last few months.
• The whole operation is expected to cost 28 million Canadian Dollars approximately.
• Yazidis are neither Arabic nor Muslim so, the Islamic State considers them polytheistic heretics.
Which tech giant released its study on Digital Payments Industry - Google
Google BCG study forecasted in The Digital Payments 2020 report that digital payment industry in India is expected to reach USD 500 billion by 2020.
It will be about 15 per cent of the gross domestic product (GDP).
Interesting Highlights -
• The report projects that the non-cash contribution in the consumer payments segment will double to 40 per cent by 2020.
• The estimate says digital technology in India will influence up to 45 per cent of all retail sales by 2025.
• It says that the non-cash transactions will exceed cash transactions by 2023.
• About 81 per cent of the existing users of the digital payments prefer it over other methods of non-cash payments.
• The 90 per cent Indian consumers will be using digital payment mode for both online as well as offline points of sale in fields, as highlighted by IT.
• It says that over 60 per cent of digital payment value will be contributed by offline points like unorganized eateries, transport and retail among others.
• Payment of utility bills, online shopping and buying movie tickets are the major three activities where digital payment is used prominently.
Law protecting transgender students in America revoked by – Trump Administration
US President Donald Trump’s administration rolled back Obama’s protection law for transgender students that allowed them to use the bathroom and locker room of their choice in public schools on 22 February 2017. It was seen by the transgender community as a huge progress in their fight for equal rights during Obama’s administration. However, Trump’s administration revoked the protection arguing that the state and public schools should have the authority to make their own decisions without interference from federal authority.
Important Points :
• The Department of Justice and Department of Education made this decision to revoke the order.
• According to US Senator Ben Cardin, it is a tragic step backward for the transgender children.
India and Australia signed MoU on – Cooperation in civil aviation sector
The Union Cabinet approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Australia for promotion and development of cooperation in civil aviation security on 22 February 2017 in New Delhi.
How this will help in Australia-India Relationship ?
• India and Australia already have a close relationship, which serve as a foundation for closer cooperation and multi-faceted interaction between the two countries.
• The present bilateral cooperation extends to all the vital areas such as trade, mining, energy, science & technology, IT, education and defense.
• India is the largest export market for gold and chickpeas, the second largest market for coal and copper ores and the third largest market for lead and wool to Australia.
• India imports Coal, Non-Monetary Gold, Copper ores and petroleum from Australia.
India, Uganda agreed to cooperate in – Space Programme and atomic energy
A joint press conference by the Vice President Hamid Ansari and Ugandan President Yoweri Kauta Museveni in State House at Entebbe, the official residence of President announced the agreement between India and Uganda to cooperate in Space Programme and Atomic Energy on 22nd February 2017.
Important Highlights :
• Both the countries have established sound bilateral relations on extensive economic and trade interests as well as on international issues.
• In 1965, India established its diplomatic presence in Uganda.
• Both the countries have committed to work together in trade, investment, agriculture, defense cooperation and IT among others.
In which tiger reserve shoot-at-sight order was issued to curb poaching - Corbett Tiger Reserve
Uttarakhand govt. has issued a shoot-at-sight order in the Corbett Tiger Reserve to curb poaching of tigers on 21st February 2017.
Detailed Information –
• Jim Corbett National Park, is located in the Nainital district of Uttarakhand.
• It is India’s oldest and most prestigious national park established in 1936 as Hailey National Park.
• Bijrani Safari Zone, Jhirna Safari Zone and Dhikala Zone are some of the important Safari zones in the tiger reserve.