Current Affairs 28th February 2017
Current Affairs 28th February 2017 - Important Points
- Antyodaya Express and Humsafar Express inaugerated by - Railways Ministry
- India’s first Integrated Heliport inaugurated by - Civil Aviation Minister
- New Managing Director of Sapient India - Sanjay Menon
- National Science Day observed on - 28th February
- Who has been awarded the captain of the year at ESPNcricinfo awards - Virat Kohli
- Former Union Minister P. Shiv Shankar passes away on - 27th February 2017
Current Affairs 28th February 2017 - Details
Antyodaya Express and Humsafar Express inaugerated by - Railways Ministry
Railways Minister Suresh Prabhakar Prabhu flagged off the first Antyodaya clan of trains and the fourth Humsafar clan of trains through video conferencing on 27th February 2017.
- This Humsafar Express will cover the entire country starting from North to South.
- Humsafar is a fully Air Conditioned train and features fire and smoke detection and suppression system, CCTVs, comfortable seats, mobile and laptop charging points, integrated Braille display, Fire retardant curtains, etc.
- It will have 35 stops with primary maintenance at Sri Ganganagar (NWR).
- Antyodaya Express is a long-distance and fully unreserved superfast train service for the common man going to be operated on dense routes.
- Antyodaya has 23 stations covering one way distance of 2307 km.
Do you know?
Indian Railways has introduced 3 Humsafar Express trains till date.
India’s first Integrated Heliport inaugurated by - Civil Aviation Minister
Ashok Gajapathi Raju, India’s Civil Aviation Minister inaugurated the country’s first integrated heliport on 28th February 2017 at Rohini in North Delhi.
This new facility is expected to push India’s aviation sector to new heights.
- Pawan Hans, a state owned helicopter service company developed the heliport.
- It has already been tested by the facility successfully in trials conducted in February 2016.
- It will also operate as a centre for skill development of pilots and engineers.
New Managing Director of Sapient India - Sanjay Menon
- Sanjay Menon has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of its India operations by Sapient on 28th February 2017. Also, Menon will continue to serve as Global Head of Service Lines for SapientRazorfish.
- Menon will be responsible for the strategy, capability development and growth of Sapient's India presence.
Do you know?
Sapient founded on 6 November 1990 by Jerry Greenberg and Stuart Moore, is a marketing and consulting company,providing business, marketing and technology services to clients.
It has three divisions - SapientNitro, Sapient Global Markets and Sapient Government Services.
National Science Day observed on - 28th February
National Science Day observed with the theme 'Science and Technology for Specially Abled Persons”. This day is observed to tribute first Asian Scientist CV Raman, who received the 'Nobel Prize' and to spread a message about science and its importance in the daily life of the people.
Do you know?
This day came into existence after the National Council for Science and Technology Communications (NCSTC) asked the Union Governmentin 1986 to designate 28 February as National Science Day.
Who has been awarded the captain of the year at ESPNcricinfo awards - Virat Kohli
Indian national cricket team captain, Virat Kohli has been awarded as the ‘Captain of the Year’ at the 10th annual ESPN cricinfo awards.
Independent jury including some of the renowned cricketers decided the winner. He bagged this prize for winning 9 out of 12 test matches. ‘Test Bowling Performance of the Year’ award was given to Stuart Broad for the second year in a row.
Below is the list of all the winners -
Captain of the year Virat Kohli
Associate batting winner Mohammad Shahzad
Associate bowling winner Mohammad Nabi
T20I batting winner Carlos Brathwaite
T20I bowling winner Mustafizur Rahman
Women's batting winner Hayley Matthews
Women's bowling winner Leigh Kasperek
ODI batting winner Quinton de Kock
ODI bowling winner Sunil Narine
Test batting winner Ben Stokes
Test bowling winner Stuart Broad
Debutant of the year Mehedi Hasan
Former Union Minister P. Shiv Shankar passes away on - 27th February 2017
Former Union Minister P. Shiv Shankar passed away on 27th February 2017 due to prolonged illness. He was 87 at the time of death.
- P. Shiv Shankar was born on 10 August 1929, obtained his bachelor’s degree from Hindu College, Amritsar.
- He did his bachlor degree in Law from Law College, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- He was made Union Minister of Law and Justice in 1980.
- He served as the Deputy Chairman of Planning Commission from 1987 - 1988 and then House Leader in Rajya Sabha from 1988-1989.