Current Affairs 6th January 2017 - Important Points
- International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) observed on - 6th February
- Name of former CBI Director, who passed away - Joginder Singh
- Bano Qudsia passed away, he was a - Renowned Urdu Author
- Who has been appointed as a leader of AIADMK Legislative Party - Sasikala Natarajan
- Who discovered World's earliest emoji - Slovakian Curators
Current Affairs 6th January 2017 - Details
International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) observed on - 6th February
Among Important Days, On 6th February International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) was observed across the globe.
- It is estimated that around 200 million girls and women alive today all over the world have undergone some form of FGM.
- FGM causes severe bleeding and health issues including cysts, infections, infertility as well as complications in childbirth increased risk of newborn deaths.
- Stella Obasanjo, the First Lady of Nigeria and spokesperson for the Campaign against Female Genital Mutilation, on 6 February 2003 made the official declaration on 'Zero Tolerance to FGM' in Africa during a conference, which was organized by the Inter-African Committee on Traditional Practices Affecting the Health of Women and Children.
Name of former CBI Director, who passed away - Joginder Singh
On 3rd February 2017, former CBI Director Joginder Singh passed away in Delhi. He was 77 years old. He He investigated high profile cases like Bofors Scam and Bihar’s fodder scam.
More about Joginder Singh :
- He was an IPS officer 1961 batch of Karnataka cadre
- He led a number of delegations to the UK, USA, Germany and France on behalf of the Indian Government.
- He also served as Inspector General in the CRPF.
Bano Qudsia passed away, he was a - Renowned Urdu Author
Bano Qudsia, a renowned Urdu Author passed away on 4th Feb 2017 in Lahore, Pakistan. She was 88 at the time of her death. She was born on 28th Nov 1928 Firozpur, India, but migrated to Pakistan with family during partition.
- She wrote several Urdu novels, dramas and short stories. Her play 'AdhiBaat' was a popular one.
- Her best novel was Raja Gidh (The King Buzzard), which is considered a modern Urdu classic.
Who has been appointed as a leader of AIADMK Legislative Party - Sasikala Natarajan
On 5th February 2017, Sasikala Natarajan was appointed as leader of AIADMK Legislative Party. Now she is all set to become next CM of Tamil Nadu. Important to mention here that O Panneerselvam had taken over as CM after the demise of J Jayalalithaa on 5th December 2016. He resigned from the CM post on 5th February 2017 and his resignation was accepted by Tamil Nadu Governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao on 6th February 2017.
Who discovered World's earliest emoji - Slovakian Curators
Slovakian Curators have found World’s earliest emoji in a 382-year-old account book.
- The first smiley emoji with a small circle with two dots was made by a 17th century Slovakian Lawyer in 1635.
- The lawyer made this emoji by reviewing municipal account documents in a village, situated next to Slovakia’s Strazov mountain range.