Current Affairs 7th February 2017 - Important Points
- Alastair Cook resigns as England Test captain on – 6th Feb 2017
- Veteran freedom fighter passed away on 6th Feb 2017, her name was – Racharla Samrajyam
- Union Government launches measles-rubella vaccination drive in Bengaluru on – 5th Feb 2017
- First Smart Police Station Inaugurated in – Andhra Pradesh
- 17th session of BIMSTEC senior officials meeting begins in Kathmandu on – 7th February 2017
Current Affairs 7th February 2017 - Details
Alastair Cook resigns as England Test captain on – 6th Feb 2017
Among Sports Current Affairs, On 6th February 2017, Alastair Cook resigned the captaincy of the England test cricket team by submitting his resignation to England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman, Colin Graves.
Interesting Facts on Alastair Cook Career :
- He started his International career with a test match against India in Mar 2006 as a left-handed opening batsman.
- Cook has played 140 matches and scored 11,057 runs from 253 innings as on date. His test career includes 53 half-centuries, 30 centuries and 3 double centuries.
- He scored 61 runs with a strike rate of 112.96 in the four, T20 International (T20I) matches.
- On 28 December 2013, Alastair Cook became the youngest player to complete 8000 Test runs, 21 days younger than Sachin Tendulkar.
Veteran freedom fighter passed away on 6th Feb 2017, her name was – Racharla Samrajyam
A freedom fighter Racharla Samrajyam passed away in Vishakhapatnam on 6th Feb 2017 due to age related illness. She was 98 at the time of her death.
More about Racharla Samrajyam :
- Racharla was born in April 1919 at Rajamundry, Andhra Pradesh. She was the younger sister of social reformer Gora.
- She was arrested for 6 months at Bezawada (now known as Vijayawada) while leading the protests during the Quit India Movement.
- She received the ‘TarmraPatra’ in 1972 from the Union Government.
Union Government launches measles-rubella vaccination drive in Bengaluru on – 5th Feb 2017
- MR is an airborne disease caused by Measles – Rubella viruses.
- This campaign targets 41 crore children aging 9 months to 15 years across India, which is the highest number in all such campaigns ever happened.
- The vaccination will be free of cost.
- Initially Universal Immunization Program (UIP) was providing only Measles vaccination but Rubella will be the new addition now on.
- It is targeting 5 major states first - Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Goa and Lakshadweep covering nearly 3.6 crore children.
First Smart Police Station Inaugurated in – Andhra Pradesh
On 6th February 2017, Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh, N Chandrababu Naidu inaugurated first smart police station which has a look and feel of corporate style office.
More details on Smart Police Station -
- It is completely under the watch of closed circuit television cameras (CCTV) for closer surveillance of staff behavior and movement of visitors.
- Along with this, it is fully air-conditioned with all necessary requirements including a dormitory, staff room, mini control room and a reception chamber.
- It has individual enclosure for Station House Officer and three Sub-Inspectors.
- This entire infrastructure was built with a cost of Rs 91 lacs and there are 100 more such smart stations are planned to build in the same state.
17th session of BIMSTEC senior officials meeting begins in Kathmandu on – 7th February 2017
On 7th February 2017, 17th session of BIMSTEC senior officials meeting held in Kathmandu where Indian delegation was led by Preeti Saran.
Important Highlights :
- This meeting included a review of the progress made by the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectorial Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC.
- The session announced the date of the 4th BIMSTEC summit later this year in Nepal.
- The member states of BIMSTEC are India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Bhutan, Nepal, Thailand and Bhutan.
- It aims to harness a shared growth through cooperation in different areas of common interest.